Avijit Pathak is professor at the Centre for the Study of Social Systems at the Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.His areas of interest are: Sociology of Modernization, Social Theory, Sociology of Education.
- Indian Modernity: Contradictions, Paradoxes and Possibilities, Gyan Books, Delhi, 1998.
- Social Implications of Schooling: Knowledge, Pedagogy and Consciousness, Rainbow, New Delhi, 2002.
- Modernity, Globalization and Identity: Towards a Reflexive Quest, Aakar Books, New Delhi, 2006.
- Recalling the Forgotten: Education and Moral Quest, Aakar Books, New Delhi, 2009.
- The Rhythm of Life and Death, Aakar Books, New Delhi, 2011