Abdul Gafoor Abdul Majeed Noorani, known popularly as A.G. Noorani, (b. 1930 in Bombay) is an Indian lawyer, historian and author. He has practised as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India and in the Bombay High Court. He is one of the few remaining experts on the Constitution of India from his generation.
His columns have appeared in various publications, including Hindustan Times, The Hindu, Dawn, The Statesman, Frontline, Economic and Political Weekly and Dainik Bhaskar. He is the author of a number of books including: The Kashmir Question, Badruddin Tyabji Ministers' Misconduct, Brezhnev's Plan for Asian Security, The Presidential System, The Trial of Bhagat Singh, Constitutional Questions in India and The RSS and the BJP: A Division of Labour (LeftWord Books, 2000). He has also authored the biographies of Badruddin Tyabji and Dr Zakir Hussain.
Noorani considers himself a "secular Muslim". He has defended Sheikh Abdullah of Kashmir during his long period of detention. He appeared in the Bombay High Court for former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Karunanidhi against the latter's main political rival J. Jayalalitha.
- The Destruction of Hyderabad (2014), ISBN 9781849044394
- The Kashmir Dispute 1947-2012, 2 Volume set (editor, 2013), ISBN 9789382381198, ISBN 9789382381204
- Islam, South Asia and the Cold War (2012)
- Article 370: A Constitutional History of Jammu and Kashmir (2011)
- Jinnah and Tilak: Comrades in the Freedom Struggle (2010)
- India–China Boundary Problem 1846–1947: History and Diplomacy (2010), ISBN 9780198070689
- The RSS and the BJP:A Division of Labour(2008), ISBN 9788187496137
- Indian Political Trials 1775–1947 (2006), ISBN 9780195687767
- Constitutional Questions and Citizens’ Rights (2006)
- The Trial of Bhagat Singh: Politics of Justice (2005), ISBN 9780195678178
- The Muslims of India: A Documentary Record (editor, 2003)
- Islam and Jihad: Prejudice versus Reality (2002) ISBN 9781842772713
- The Babri Masjid Question 1528–2003: ‘A Matter of National Honour’, in two volumes (2003).
- Constitutional Questions in India: The President, Parliament and the States (2002), ISBN 9780195658774
- Savarkar and Hindutva (2002), ISBN 9788187496830