On May 10, over 20,000 artists and creators had already signed this call, launched on May 4
For several months now, the Yellow Vest movement, unprecedented in the history of the Fifth Republic, has been beating the pavement of our streets.
A citizens' movement, born spontaneously, that does not belong to any political party.
A movement that mobilizes tens of thousands of French people every Saturday for more than 6 months, and which is supported by millions of others.
A movement that demands essential things: a more direct democracy, greater social and fiscal justice, radical measures in the face of the state of ecological emergency.
What they ask, they ask for everyone. The Yellow Vests, it’s us. We artists, technicians, authors, of all these cultural professions, precarious or not, are absolutely concerned by this historical mobilization.
And we proclaim it here: we are not fooled.
We see trough the delusive tricks used to discredit the Yellow Vests, described as anti-ecologists, extremists, racists, thugs... We don’t fall for it, this narrative does not fit with reality even if the mainstream media and government spokespersons would like us to believe it.
Like the violence they emphasise every Saturday.
Yet the most alarming violence is not there.
The toll of repression is getting worse every week. As of April 19, 2019, there were 1 death, 248 head injuries, 23 enucleations, 5 hands torn off among the demonstrators. It is unworthy of our republic.
And we are not the first to denounce it: Amnesty International, the League for Human Rights, the UN, the European Union, the French Rights Defender, all of them condemn the police violence against the Yellow Vests in France.
The number of injuries, broken lives, arrests and convictions is beyond understanding. How can we still exercise our right to demonstrate in front of such repression? There is no justification for setting up a so-called "anti-breakers/smashers/vandals" legislative arsenal that violates our fundamental freedoms.
We are not fooled. The most threatening violence is economic and social. It is the one of this government that defends the interests of a few to the detriment of all. It is the violence that marks the bodies and minds of those who wear out at work to survive.
Then we must - this is a historic emergency - collectively confront the ecological crisis and find just and effective solutions, in order to leave a liveable world for our children. We are not fooled. This government has consistently backed down on this issue so as not to worry those responsible for the announced disaster. The Yellow Vests denounce it as well as the environmental activists do. Today, the convergence of social and environmental struggles is underway.
We will continue to get angry, stronger, more often, more together.
And today, we are calling for a new history to be written.
We writers, musicians, directors, publishers, sculptors, photographers, sound and image technicians, scriptwriters, choreographers, designers, painters, circus artists, actors, rice producers, dancers, creators of all kinds, are outraged by the repression, manipulation and irresponsibility of this government at such a pivotal moment in our history.
Let us use our power, that of words, speech, music, image, thought, art, to invent a new narrative and support those who have been struggling in the streets and at roundabouts for months.
Nothing is written. Let's draw a better world.
A dream you dream alone is only a dream.
A dream you dream together is reality.
Yellow Submarine Collective
To join or contact us:
►Sign the petition
- Jeanne BALIBAR / actress and director
- Bruno GACCIO / author
- Anne-Laure GRUET / director actress
- Juliette BINOCHE / actress
- Denis ROBERT / writer, director
- Gilles PERRET / director
- Yvan LE BOLLOC'H / singer, actor
- Simon ABKARIAN / actor, author, director
- Frank MARGERIN / comic book author
- Emmanuelle BÉART / actress
- Robert GUÉDIGUIAN / filmmaker
- Anouk GRINBERG / actress
- Alexandre GAVRAS / producer, author
- China MOSES / musician
- Sam KARMANN / actor, director
- Jean-Claude PETIT / composer, conductor
- Swann ARLAUD / actor
- Alain DAMASIO / writer
- Jean-Luc MOREAU / director
- Fanny COTTENÇON / actress
- Ariane ASCARIDE / actress
- Annie ERNAUX / writer
- Marion MONTAIGNE / comic book author
- Anne ALVARO / actress
- Ludovic BOURCE / composer
- Stéphane BRIZÉ / Director
- Christophe RUGGIA / filmmaker
- Alain GUIRAUDIE / filmmaker
- Michel BARTHELEMY / Head Decorator
- Alice DIOP / filmmaker
- Serge QUADRUPPANI / writer, translator
- Éric DEMARSAN / composer
- Emile BRAVO / comic book author
- Xavier DURRINGER / author-director
- Elli MEDEIROS / artist
- Julie BERTUCCELLLI / filmmaker
- Stanislas NORDEY / director and actor
- Florent MASSOT / publisher
- Katell QUILLÉVÉRÉ / Director
- Luis REGO / actor
- Vincent CESPEDES / philosopher, composer
- Julien SERI / director
- Justine TRIET / Director
- Jean-François LEPETIT / producer
- Christine BOISSON / actress
- Niko KANTES (Sporto Kantes) / musician
- Benjamin SPORTES / musician
- Liliane ROVERE / actress
- Edouard LOUIS / writer
- Solweig VON KLEIST / artist, animated film director
- Frédéric CHAUDIER / Director
- Martin MEISSONNIER / musician, director
- Rémi CHAYE / animated film director
- Mariana OTERO / Director
- Eva DARLAN / actress
- Géraldine SROUSSI / Director and Producer, Olam Productions
- Pierre SCHOELLER / filmmaker
- Xavier MUSSEL / actor, author, director
- Olivier RABOURDIN / actor
- Stéphane GOUDET / Artistic Director of Méliès de Montreuil
- Tom DARNAL / musician
- Enzo CORMANN / writer
- Arnaud des PALLIÈRES / filmmaker
- Laurence CÔTE / actress
- Aline PAILLER / radio producer
- Marc HERPOUX / scriptwriter
- Jean PIERRE DURET / sound engineer, documentary director
- Simone BITTON / filmmaker
- Thierry de PERETTI / filmmaker
- Marina TOME / actress, author, director
- Chick ORTEGA / actor
- Marianne SERGENT / actress, author
- Dalila DALLÉAS BOUZAR / plastic artist
- Nathalie MANN / actress
- Guillaume BRAC / filmmaker
- Chantal STEINBERG / Lussas Documentary School
- Marie-Claude TREILHOU / filmmaker
- Jacques SERRES / actor, author
- Nicolas DEVEAUX / Director
- Pascal TESSAUD / filmmaker
- Claire CHILDERIC / filmmaker
- Roland GORI / author
- Pierre BECU / director
- Nicolas BABY / musician
- Nicolas KLOTZ / filmmaker
- Laurent BOUHNIK / Director
- Bernard BLANCAN / actor and director
- Pierre PRADINAS / director
- Michel BROUÉ / mathematician
- Juan ROZOFF / musician
- ELDIABLO / writer, author
- Robin CAMPILO / filmmaker
- Pierre-Louis CASSOU / producer
- ARK / musician
- Brigitte ROÜAN / actress, filmmaker
- Gérard MORDILLAT / novelist, filmmaker
- Marie FABRE / actress
- Jean-Louis COMOLLI / filmmaker, writer
- Sacha MAMBO / musician
- Jean Pierre THORN / filmmaker
- David HERMON aka COSMIC NEMAN / musician Zombie Zombie
- Claudine BORIES / filmmaker
- Geoffroy LAGASNERIE / philosopher sociologist author
- Yves AGOSTINI / cameraman
- Jacques BONNAFFÉ / actor
- Jean ANNESTAY / publisher, writer
- Marion MAZAURIC / Publisher